Thursday, August 10, 2017

Tiny House Video Tour

Take a guided tour of the tiny house, where Tim describes many commonly asked about features.

Tiny House Voted Favorite Home for Sale in Seattle!

The Micro Mansion made Curbed Seattle's top 5 favorite homes for sale in Seattle for summer 2017!

Check out a few photos of the interior and learn what features stand out to make it a true luxury home.  Read a full write up on the house at this link;

Friday, December 2, 2016

Windows and Roof

Time Lapse Window and Roof Install

From the inside, a 1/2" gap was left between the rough opening and window in order to shim the windows level and plumb. 

Starting to look like a real finished product now!

Painting the drip edge, the only flashing part that wasn't available pre-finished. The dormers and skylights added complexity, so much that 7 different types of flashing had to be used! Only 3 would have been needed for a simple pitch roof.

The eves are the widest part of the house, so double checking that they are under the 8'6" DOT width limitation.

Ready for water barrier and then the finished product.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Window Openings, Roof Sheathing, and House Wrap

Site Supervisor Performs Inspection
I was surprised how open the inside still felt after putting all the sheathing up. However, cutting the holes for the windows really opened up the space even more!

Time Lapse Window Openings and House Wrap

Daily Rains Require Tarping Still.

The two things I'm really looking forward to now are getting the actual windows in, and getting the roof installed. Having the house to a point where I won't have to keep tarping it will be a real time saver. And I think the windows will make it really look like a nice little house.

Cutting Window Holes Brings in More Light

It's nice to stand inside at this point and visualize the interior layout with all of the window holes in place.

Looking More Like a House

Can't Wait to Install Windows!

View of the "Shed" Area
Extra space in the shed area of the house will be for the propane tank, water heater, expansion tank, radiant floor controls and valves, and a recessed bathroom sink and cabinet.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wall Sheathing, Ties and Strapping.

The form of the entrance is apparent with the sheathing up.

Various types of strapping used to reinforce all framing connections.

Time to start enclosing the project with some plywood.

Certain sections had to be insulated already since they'll be covered on both sides. 
That large flat wall will be broken up with a faux roof line and windows later. Thank goodness, not very aesthetic now.

Another angle with the sheathing almost completed.

Just the roof sheathing to go.

Interior view with the sheathing up.

Interior looking towards the door and bay window area. Standing underneath the loft.

Expanding foam will squeeze it's way out of anywhere. It must have a second stage of expansion after the initial release from the can.

Dormer end/transitions were a crazy shape that took a few trims to get right.

Getting closer to being weather tight every day.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Framing the Upper Walls and Roof

"Topping Out," when the highest framing member of a building is set.

Finalizing the framing in time lapse, enjoy!

This stage of the project was very fun. The shape of the finished house could be visualized, and you could actually start to picture what it would be like to be inside.

Rafters and the utility area framing (over the tongue) to go. 

Really got in the swing of things working on the framing, now it was time to start changing gears toward sheathing, and getting the project enclosed and safe from the elements.

Setting the ridge beam, such a satisfying step in the process!

Coming along with the framing. 

This wild turkey comes by to check out the progress every morning. Can you find him?!

Covered just in time for the next snow.

The tarp kept out most of the moisture, used towels to soak up the rest.

Not much snow, but it was heavy and wet.  

She(?) has some nice coloration up close. Likes the sound of hammering, you'd think that would scare it away...
Next the sheathing will go up, and window holes cut. See ya then.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Leveling, Plumbing, and Squaring the Lower Walls.

The lower wall sections have now all been framed and raised. Before the upper sections and the roof are added I went through and straightened everything up. Of course each section was built square and on a flat surface, but any movement will cause them to get slightly out of square until bracing is applied.

I started by re-checking the trailer for level, and then squaring two intersecting walls. I checked each direction with my level, applied pressure with 12' 2x4s to hold each section in position, then screwed a diagonal brace. After getting a corner done, I ran a plumb line along the long walls to make sure all three sections were in alignment. They were then pulled into position with more diagonal bracing.
Running a plumb line along the long wall sections.
I found that it was important to re-check everything because straightening a whole wall section would end up pulling a previously leveled corner out of tolerance. Taking lunch and coming back everything would shift slightly, even after being braced. 

I found just by going around several times to each section, eventually I could get everything to align within about 3/16".

Pretty straight for a 3 section wall.
The bracing will stay up until the sheathing goes on, that will hold everything pretty tightly in square. The diagonals inside that hold the long walls plumb will have to stay until the roof is sheathed, making sure that they don't spread out when I'm shifting my weight and the materials around up there.

Time lapse of squaring, leveling, plumbing the wall framing.

Thanks for taking a look at the post. Next you'll see the framing completed including the roof and loft dormers. And on to sheathing...